Competition for the position of director
Creators interested in creating challenging narrative S3D forms are invited to participate.
In order to participate in the competition you must:
- Read the Regulations of the competition
- Prepare and send to KONKURSY@szkolafilmowawlodzi.pl the documents required by the regulations:
- curriculum vitae with documents confirming the experience required to participate in the competition
- portfolio of creative achievements to date
- documentation of an artistic or documentary project which the candidate plans to develop in an interactive form
- fill in the APPLICATION FORM
We invite you to participate in the competition!
Rules of the competition for the position of director in the artistic and research program of S3D vnLab Studio
§ I. Organizer and goal of the Competition
The organizer of the competition for the position of a director in the artistic and research program of the S3D vnLab Studio for 2020 (hereinafter referred to as “the Competition”) is Leon Schiller National Higher School of Film, Television and Theatre in Łódź, Laboratory of Visual Narration with its headquarters at 61/63 Targowa Street in Łódź, 90-323 (hereinafter referred to as “the Organizer”). The aim of the competition for the position of director is to select a person responsible for supervising and creatively contributing to the research process planned by the S3D Studio at the Laboratory.
§ II. Participation in the S3D Lab program
During the four-year program, the S3D Lab will complete a series of visual experiments focusing on the artistic potential of stereoscopy in stop-motion techniques. This material will be a multimedia element of a handbook, which will be created as a form of publication of the results of research conducted in the studio, and it will describe the potential, difficulties and possibilities offered by the registration of three-dimensional image in stop-motion animation.
From the material recorded as part of the experiments conducted by the S3D studio, one closed Audiovisual work will be finally edited. The incumbent will be responsible for combining the research process with the film construction work, supervising the cinematography, and providing overall conceptual input to the development of the project. The schedule includes 15 research sessions. Shooting is planned to start in January 2020 and will continue until December 2022 with a frequency of 1 shooting week every two months (5 research sessions per year).
§ III. Rules of participation in the Contest
- Participation in the Contest is open to natural and legal persons and other entities, including persons and other entities acting jointly (teams of authors) who have experience in screenwriting and directing, in particular are authors of screenplays and directors of at least one animated film that was distributed in cinemas or screened at an International Film Festival. Persons and entities acting together (teams of authors) are subject to the rules pertaining to the Competition candidate, participant and winner, respectively.
- In order to take part in the Competition, an application must be submitted to the Organizer, which includes
- a completed and submitted application form available HERE, and containing:
- title, short description and emblem of the project
- name and surname or name of the candidate for the Contest,
- address of residence or registered office of candidate for the Contest,
- telephone number and email address,
- declaration: “I agree to participate in the competition for participation in the 2020 vnLab S3D Studio Program and accept its rules and regulations”,
- curriculum vitae with documents confirming the experience referred to in paragraph 1 above.
- a portfolio of past creative achievements (with particular emphasis on stop-motion animation). The portfolio may include links to film works and other multimedia content.
- A general description of the screenplay idea, an important formal element of which should be the use of three-dimensional cinematography. The idea for the screenplay should be
- adaptable to the research session topics of the S3D studio, which will be:
- changing the parameter “Base” in the course of the shot,
- changing the “Convergence” parameter during the shot,
- recording with shift-tilt lenses,
- recording through denser media (e.g. old, corrugated glass)
- multiple reflections (Venetian mirror)
- combining shots with virtual scenery
- Quick montage sequence
- clashing different scales of reproduction
- use of different depths of field within one shot
- floating window effect
- Justification of the choice of the medium: why the S3D technique is the most suitable medium for this project / why this project is suitable for S3D? All documents listed above, prepared in PDF format, and labeled [project emblem]-[“resume” or “portfolio” or “script” or “rationale”]-2019.pdf, should be addressed to KONKURSY@szkolafilmowawlodzi.pl with the project emblem in the email title.
- a completed and submitted application form available HERE, and containing:
- The project should meet the following requirements together:
- it constitutes the exclusive creation of the person (or team) making the application and its exclusive property, also in terms of the copyright of the creator, or at the time of submission of the project the necessary rights enabling the implementation of the experiment have already been acquired. In the latter case, it is necessary to enclose documents confirming the acquisition of rights
- has not been used before in whole or in part in another work
- The deadline for submission of applications is 31 October 2019. Upon receipt of a complete entry, the Organizer will confirm acceptance of the entry to the Competition to the email address provided in the form.
- In order for the application to be considered successfully sent, the submitted files must be able to be read correctly.
- Each candidate for the Contest may submit only one entry to the Contest. The application may include a maximum of two Projects.
- Submitting an invalid entry may result in exclusion from the Competition of the Concept contained therein.
- Submitting an entry is voluntary and means in particular:
- acceptance and full acceptance of the provisions of these Regulations,
- consent to processing the applicant’s personal data for purposes related to the conduct, documentation and promotion of the Competition. Clauses concerning processing of personal data constitute Appendix No. … to these Regulations.
- to grant the Organizer, free of charge, a non-exclusive right, unlimited as to time and territory, to use and dispose of the submitted documentation of the Projects in all fields of exploitation, which especially includes the production of copies of the documentation by any technique and on any medium, marketing, public performance, exhibition, display, reproduction, broadcasting and rebroadcasting, as well as making the work available to the public in such a way that everyone can access it in a place and at a time individually chosen by them, including making it available via a computer network (especially Internet). The Organizer obtains these rights upon receiving the documentation for the Projects. These rights can only be used for documentation purposes, as well as for promotion and advertising of the Contest, as well as in information about the Contest and reporting of its progress.
§ IV. Settlement of the Competition
- The Competition is a one-stage event.
- The Jury evaluates Projects submitted by Contestants, taking into consideration in particular
- artistic value of the Project,
- artistic potential of the Project as an S3D experience,
- originality of the Project in the context of existing forms of S3D experiences
- justification of the creator/creators why he/she would like to implement the Project in the form of S3D experience (awareness of the medium),
- previous achievements of the creator/creators.
- Budget rationality of the project (production awareness).
- The compatibility of the project with the artistic and research goals of the S3D Studio, especially the contribution to the development of narrative language in the stereoscopic technique.
- The jury will choose one winner (an individual or a team of authors) from among the entries, who will participate in the artistic and research program of the S3D Studio vnLab in 2020-2022.
- The results of the Competition will be announced on the Organizer’s website by 10.11.2019. The Organizer will notify the winners of the results of the Contest by email, to the email address indicated in the application form.
§ V. Clarifications to the statutory requirements
- During the course of the Contest, individuals and entities, including author teams, who intend to participate in the Contest, or who have made a successful application to the Contest, may contact the Organizer with questions regarding the requirements of the Project, according to the rules described in this paragraph.
- Questions referred to in paragraph 1 above should be directed by email to: KONKURSY@szkolafilmowawlodzi.pl and include the first and last name of the inquirer.
- Questions related to the Project requirements should be sent no later than October 9, 2019. These questions will be answered by the Organizer no later than October 20, 2019.
- The Organizer’s answers referred to in paragraph 3 above will be provided by publishing them on the Contest website.
- The published answers referred to in paragraph 4 above will be treated equally to the provisions of these Regulations in terms of the requirements for the Project.
Questions sent after the deadline provided for in paragraph 3 above will not be answered.
§ VI. Jury
- The Jury members are appointed and dismissed by the Organizer’s Artistic Council.
- The Jury will evaluate the Projects on the basis of their artistic merit and originality and other requirements included in the present Rules and Regulations, as well as the answers provided by the Organizer referred to in § IV item 4 of the Rules and Regulations.
- Decisions of the Jury are taken by a simple majority of votes in the presence of the majority of the Jury members.
- Decisions of the Jury cannot be appealed.
§ VII. Copyright
- The winner is the participant of the Competition, which, based on the Jury’s decision, is included in the artistic and research program of the S3D vnLab for the year 2020. The provisions of this paragraph concern the Winner’s Concept, and the “Concept” referred to in this paragraph should be understood as the Winner’s Concept.
- All rights to the Project will be, based on a separate agreement, transferred to the manufacturer of the leading project, which is Leon Schiller National Higher School of Film, Television and Theatre, by virtue of which the Organizer acquires all proprietary copyrights to the final work, covering all fields of exploitation known at the moment, in particular
- production by any technique of copies (including printing, reprography, magnetic recording and digital technique, in any system or format; on any media, uploading, downloading), digitalization,
- marketing, lending or leasing of the original or copies,
- public performance, exhibition, display, reproduction and broadcast (wireless or wire, by terrestrial station or by satellite) and rebroadcast, in any system, technique or format, as well as making the work available to the public in such a way that everyone can access it from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, making available as video-on-demand, webcasting, simulcasting, as well as making available through the use of streaming technology, high definition technology (HD), three-dimensional technology (3D) and VR technology, as well as within the framework of any telecommunication services with the use of any systems and devices (among others. including but not limited to cell phones, fixed and/or mobile computers, as well as transmissions using any available technologies e.g. GSM, UMTS etc, by means of telecommunication data transmission networks),
- use in a multimedia work,
- entering into the memory of a computer or other device, making available through a computer network (including in particular the Internet, multimedia networks and IPTV), as well as making available the possibility of reproduction through a computer network.
- The winner transfers onto the Organizer the exclusive and time- and territory-limited right to authorize the execution of derivative copyrights to the final work created in the S3D vnLab, in the fields of use mentioned in point 5, especially to authorize the disposal and use of their elaboration. The Winner also undertakes not to undertake actions limiting this right in the future.
- The Winner authorizes the Organizer to exercise his/her personal copyrights to the final work created in the S3D vnLab, and undertakes not to exercise his/her personal rights in a manner limiting the Organizer in the exercise of its rights to the said works. The previous sentence refers particularly to the decision to make the works available to recipients (the public).
- The Organizer undertakes to make the final work available to the public in an open access format as part of the vnLab digital publishing series at the Library and Film Information Centre of the Polish National Film, Television and Theatre School in Lodz.
§ VIII. Final Provisions
- In matters not reserved for the Jury’s decision, decisions are made by the Organiser. The Organiser will resolve any doubts concerning the interpretation of the present Rules and Regulations.
- The present Rules and Regulations have been prepared in Polish and English language versions. In case of any doubt the Polish version shall prevail.
- In case of any disputes the competent court is the common court according to the seat of the Organizer.