Competition for the position of scriptwriter
Creators interested in creating challenging narrative S3D forms are invited to participate.
In order to participate in the competition you must:
- Read the Regulations of the competition
- Prepare and send to KONKURSY@szkolafilmowawlodzi.pl the documents required by the regulations:
- curriculum vitae with documents confirming the experience required to participate in the competition
- portfolio of creative achievements to date
- treatment/idea/screenplay – a proposal of a short film intended for the stereoscopic medium
- justification for the choice of the medium
- fill in the APPLICATION FORM
We invite you to participate in the competition!
Rules of the competition for the position of scriptwriter in the artistic-research program of the S3D vnLab
§ I. Organizer and goal of the Competition
The organizer of the competition for the function of the scriptwriter/screenwriter in the artistic and research program of the S3D vnLab Studio for 2020 (hereinafter referred to as the “Competition”) is the Leon Schiller National Higher School of Film, Television and Theatre in Łódź, Visual Narration Laboratory with its headquarters at 61/63 Targowa Street in Łódź, 90-323 (hereinafter referred to as the “Organizer”). The goal of the competition for the position of scriptwriter/screenwriter is to select a person responsible for supervising and creatively contributing to the research process planned by the S3D studio at the Laboratory.
§ II. Participation in the S3D Lab Program
During the four-year program, the S3D Lab will complete a series of visual experiments focusing on the artistic potential of stereoscopy in stop-motion techniques. This material will be a multimedia element of a handbook, which will be created as a form of publication of the results of research conducted in the studio, and it will describe the potential, difficulties and possibilities offered by the registration of three-dimensional image in stop-motion animation.
From the material recorded during the experiments carried out by the S3D studio, one closed Audiovisual work will be finally edited. The person acting as a scriptwriter will be responsible for drawing up the script based on the director’s treatise and combining the research process with work on the construction of the film in the script layer, (script corrections and revisions). The schedule includes 15 research sessions. Shooting is planned to start in January 2020 and will last until December 2022 with a frequency of 1 shooting week every two months (5 research sessions per year).
§ III. Rules of participation in the Contest
- The Competition is open to natural and legal persons who have experience in screenwriting, in particular who are co-authors of a film work screened at an international festival and are able to demonstrate other artistic achievements. Persons and entities acting jointly (teams of authors) are subject to the rules pertaining to the Competition candidate, participant and winner, respectively.
- In order to take part in the Competition, an application must be submitted to the Organiser, including
- a completed and submitted application form available HERE, and containing:
- name and surname or name of the candidate for the Competition,
- Candidate’s residence or registered office address,
- telephone number and email address,
- declaration: “I agree to participate in the contest to participate in the S3D vnLab Studio program as a scriptwriter and I accept its regulations”,
- curriculum vitae with documents confirming the experience mentioned in paragraph 1 above.
- treatment / idea / script – a proposal for a short film intended for the stereoscopic medium.
- a portfolio of past creative achievements (possibly including stop-motion animation). The portfolio may include links to film works and other multimedia content. If the candidate wishes, he/she may provide files on a storage medium.
- justification: Why is the medium of stereoscopy of interest to you?
- All documents listed above, prepared in PDF format, and labeled [name]-[“CV” or “portfolio” or “screenplay” or “justification”]-2019.pdf, should be sent to KONKURSY@szkolafilmowawlodzi.pl, putting the phrase “Application – Competition for the position of screenwriter/screenwriter in the S3D vnLab art and research program” in the title of the email.
- a completed and submitted application form available HERE, and containing:
- The deadline for submission of applications is November 25, 2019. Upon receipt of a complete application, the Organizer will confirm acceptance of the application for the Competition to the email address provided in the form.
- In order for the application to be considered successfully sent, the submitted files must be able to be read correctly.
- Each candidate for the Contest may submit only one application to the Contest.
- Invalid entries may result in exclusion from the Contest of the Concept contained therein.
- Submitting an entry is voluntary and means in particular:
- acceptance and full acceptance of the provisions of these Regulations,
- consent to processing the applicant’s personal data for purposes related to the execution and documentation of the Competition.The clauses concerning personal data processing constitute the appendix no. … to these regulations.
- to grant the Organizer, free of charge, a non-exclusive right, unlimited as to time and territory, to use and dispose of the submitted documentation of the Projects in all fields of exploitation, which especially includes the production of copies of the documentation by any technique and on any medium, marketing, public performance, exhibition, display, reproduction, broadcasting and rebroadcasting, as well as making the work available to the public in such a way that everyone can access it in a place and at a time individually chosen by them, including making it available via the information network (especially via Internet). The Organizer obtains these rights upon receiving the documentation for the Projects. These rights can only be used for documentation purposes, as well as for promotion and advertising of the Contest, as well as in information about the Contest and reporting of its progress.
§ IV. Settlement of the Competition
- There are two stages of the Contest. All participants will be informed by phone and email (by December 5, 2019) about the outcome of the first stage.
- The Jury shall evaluate the Projects submitted by the participants of the Competition taking into account, in particular:
- Experience of the Candidate.
- Originality of the Treatment/scenario and the narrative function of the stereoscopic medium (space) contained therein
- Justification of the creator(s) as to why he/she would like to realize the Project in the form of an S3D experience (awareness of the medium),
- The previous festival achievements of the creator(s).
- In the second stage, the Jury will choose three candidates from among the applications (to whom a director’s treatment will be sent) to interview. The date of the interview will be set together with the candidate after the settlement of the first stage.
- The results of the Competition will be announced on the Organizer’s website by 15.12.2019. The Organizer will notify the winners of the results of the Competition by email, to the email address indicated in the application form.
§ V. Clarifications to the statutory requirements
- In the course of the Contest, individuals and entities, including author teams, who intend to participate in the Contest, or who have made a successful application to the Contest, may contact the Organizer with questions related to the requirements of the Project, according to the rules set forth in this paragraph.
- Questions referred to in paragraph 1 above should be directed by email to: KONKURSY@szkolafilmowawlodzi.pl and include the first and last name of the inquirer.
- Questions related to the Project requirements should be sent no later than November 18, 2019. These questions will be answered by the Organizer no later than November 20, 2019.
- The Organizer’s answers referred to in paragraph 3 above will be provided by publishing them on the Contest website.
- The published answers referred to in paragraph 4 above will be treated equally to the provisions of these Regulations in terms of the requirements for the Project.
- Questions sent after the deadline provided for in paragraph 3 above will not be answered.
§ VI. Jury
- Members of the Jury are appointed and dismissed by the Organizer’s Artistic Council.
- The Jury will evaluate the Candidates on the basis of their experience, awareness and originality in approaching the medium of stereoscopy, as well as other requirements contained in these Rules and Regulations, and the responses provided by the Organizer referred to in § IV.4 of the Rules and Regulations.
- Decisions of the Jury are made by simple majority of votes in the presence of a majority of the Jury members.
- Decisions of the Jury cannot be appealed.
§ VII. Copyright
- The winner is the participant of the Competition, which, based on the Jury’s decision, is included in the artistic and research program of the S3D vnLab for the year 2020. The provisions of this paragraph concern the Winner’s Concept, and the “Concept” referred to in this paragraph should be understood as the Winner’s Concept.
- All rights to the Project will be, based on a separate agreement, transferred to the manufacturer of the leading project, which is Leon Schiller National Higher School of Film, Television and Theatre, by virtue of which the Organizer acquires all proprietary copyrights to the final work, covering all fields of exploitation known at the moment, in particular
- production by any technique of copies (including printing, reprography, magnetic recording and digital technique, in any system or format; on any media, uploading, downloading), digitalization,
- marketing, lending or leasing of the original or copies,
- public performance, exhibition, display, reproduction and broadcast (wireless or wired, via terrestrial station or satellite) and rebroadcast, in any system, technique or format, as well as making the work available to the public in such a way that everyone can have access to it in the place and at the time of your choice, making available as video-on-demand, webcasting, simulcasting, and making available using streaming technology, high definition (HD) technology, three-dimensional (3D) technology and VR technology, as well as within any telecommunications services using any systems and devices (including but not limited to cell phones, fixed and/or mobile computers, as well as transmissions using any available technologies such as GSM, UMTS, etc., via telecommunications data networks),
- use in a multimedia work,
- entering into the memory of a computer or other device, making available through a computer network (including in particular the Internet, multimedia networks and IPTV), as well as making available the possibility of reproduction through a computer network.
- The Winner transfers onto the Organizer the exclusive and time- and territory-limited right to authorize the execution of derivative copyrights to the final work created in the S3D vnLab, in the fields of use mentioned in point 5, especially to authorize the disposal and use of their elaboration. The Winner also undertakes not to undertake actions limiting this right in the future.
- The Winner authorizes the Organizer to exercise his/her personal copyrights to the final work created in the S3D vnLab, and undertakes not to exercise his/her personal rights in a manner limiting the Organizer in the exercise of its rights to the said works. The previous sentence refers particularly to the decision to make the works available to recipients (the public).
- The Organizer undertakes to make the final work available to the public in an open access format as part of the vnLab digital publishing series at the Library and Film Information Centre of the Polish National Film, Television and Theatre School in Lodz.
§ VIII. Final Provisions
- In matters not reserved for the Jury’s decision, decisions are made by the Organiser. The Organiser will resolve any doubts concerning the interpretation of the present Rules and Regulations.
- The present Rules and Regulations have been prepared in Polish and English language versions. In case of any doubt the Polish version shall prevail.
- In case of any disputes the competent court is the common court according to the seat of the Organizer.